A client just brought in her laptop which she thought had a virus. After inspecting the computer, one of our techs did find a virus it called a proxy server hijacker or proxy server virus. What happens is the virus changes your settings and forces a change in your internet options to only use a proxy server for your LAN connection thus not allowing you to connect to the internet. After a few hours of searching we finally found a solution. Here is what we did to fix the issue:
- Boot the machine into Safe Mode
- Click the start button and in the search box type REGEDIT and click enter
Once the new window opens follow this path below (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Internet Settings -> ProxySettingsPerUser)
- The Proxy Settings per User was set to 0 by the virus, we changed this setting to 1 and rebooted the machine in normal mode.
- Then we went into control panel, network and internet, internet options, connections, LAN Settings and there disabled proxy server.
- We did try this first before setting Proxy Settings Per User to 1 and when you saved the change it would revert back on it's own.
After following these steps you should now be able to access the internet. the steps may vary a little depending on your operating system. The computer we worked on had Windows 8.1 installed on it. If you are in the Dallas Texas area and run into this virus or any other computer issues Ballistic Computers can take care of it for you. Feel free to stop by our office or give us a call at 972-417-9000.